Location: Woodland Hills
Date posted: Aug. 15, 2013
A Florida based wholesale insurance broker that specializes in catastrophic coastal residential property insurance as well as catastrophic residential coverage in brush exposed areas of Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii and Nevada is seeking an Underwriter for their Woodland Hills office. The company is also a leading wholesale provider of property insurance in 24 states and the Caribbean.
The Underwriter analyzes new and renewal personal lines insurance applications, provides quotes and binds new business. This position reviews and provides quotes and binds insurance on renewals within established underwriting guidelines and procedures. Additionally, the Underwriter will build and maintain agency and carrier relationships.
- Represents the Agency in the most positive manner with prospective and current clients and the communities we serve.
- Handles confidential information with tact and discretion.
- Reviews insurance applications to evaluate, classify and rate individuals and groups for insurance and accept or reject applications within underwriting standards and guidelines established by the company and within processing standards.
- Updates underwriting files for new and existing business to maintain file integrity. Create diary on all files and document file with action taken, action needed and next steps.
- Review inspection reports and ensure correct protocol is followed to adhere to company guidelines.
- Maintain advanced knowledge of all company underwriting and processing guidelines and procedures including rates, program alerts, binding authority allocation, file requirements, etc.
- Responsible for assigned agents for new and renewal of all personal lines submissions.
- Responsible for underwriting and pricing risks in accordance with company underwriting standards.
- Responsible for cultivating the relationship of new and existing agencies by educating them regarding products and services and developing the relationship with the intent to increase written premium.
- Ensure all functions are performed electronically using company software.
- Assist in the execution of Agency's internal audits.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- Position requires candidate to either live locally to work in Woodland Hills office OR to be able to successfully work remotely and independently from home office that is free from distraction of outside activity.
- Position requires the ability to sit for long periods.
- Position requires contact and communication with others: position is heavily phone and email focused with significant daily quote volume and extensive computer activity.
- Position requires use of telephone and computer equipment. Position requires ability to organize, plan and prioritize work.
- Qualified candidate will demonstrate professional demeanor in a fast-paced production environment with outstanding ability to multi-task and handle a high volume work load.
- Advanced knowledge of standard insurance concepts and underwriting practices and procedures.
- Must have experience in underwriting earthquake and brush fire exposures.
- Must reside in Southern California area.
- Qualified candidate must be team-oriented.
- Qualified candidate must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be highly adept with computer software tools including Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Requires good working knowledge of policy management and policy quoting systems.
- Minimum underwriting experience of 3-5 years required.
- Required to have and maintain active California Property and Casualty Agent license.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Salary based on level of position and commensurate with experience; attractive benefit package.
Position target start date: September 2013
Submit cover letter and resume to Karel@hrdyn.com